What would brides do without a wedding planning timeline and a checklist of all that needs to be done to organize a wedding? Arm yourself with these lists and plan away!
Congratulations, you’ve set your wedding date! Now, what? Planning a wedding is not a task for the faint of heart. After all, it is a big event. So, unless you can afford to hire a wedding planner, organizing the whole shindig will fall completely on your shoulders. Do not despair, though! We are here to support you and remind you of details you may not have thought of with a wedding planning timeline we put together just for you!
Not all couples plan their wedding within the same timeframe. Although most of them fall in the 16-month, 12-month and 6-month wedding planning timeline. Therefore, we compiled wedding planning checklist for all of these timelines. If your wedding is, say, 8.5 months away, you may need to merge a few tasks into a shorter timeframe to come up with your very own planning checklist! 😉
Breaking your wedding planning down into concrete deadlines will help you make important decisions in time to ensure everything gets done on time and with minimal pre-wedding stress! Find out what needs to be done and when depending on how much time you have before the big day!!
The 16-Month Wedding Planning Timeline: Taking it Easy
Sixteen months sounds like plenty of time to plan everything, but you won’t want to waste any time getting organized, as venues, caterers, DJs, and photographers book well in advance. The first thing you will want to do is to start a wedding binder. Then follow the yellow brick road outlined on this 16-month wedding planning timeline and hit your deliverables like the best of planners!
16-months before the wedding
- Announce your engagement.
- Discuss your wedding ideas.
- Decide on the wedding budget. Who’s paying for the wedding? Find out exactly what you have to work with before you start looking at venues and vendors.
- Start saving for the big day.
- Start a fitness plan if you intend to lose weight.
- Set a date.
- Start a wedding file.
- Look at venues.
- Hire a wedding consultant or day of coordinator.
- Select ceremony location.
- Start compiling names and addresses for the guest list. Having a rough idea of how many people to expect is critical when choosing a venue.
- Insure the engagement ring.
- Take engagement photos.
12-months before the wedding
- Book your venue.
- Pick your wedding theme, colors and style.
- Hire a photographer and videographer.
- Send out your Save-The-Dates.
- Decide who will be in your wedding party. Maid of Honor, bridesmaids, best man and groomsmen.
- Look at dresses with your bridesmaids.
- Discuss initial wedding ideas.
- Sign up for wedding registry. If you haven’t already had an engagement party, now’s the time.
- Finalize guest list.
- List family traditions to incorporate.
- Book officiant.
- Make wedding map.
At 9 months out
- Order wedding invitations & on the day stationery.
- Find a caterer, if your venue doesn’t offer one.
- Book the caterer, florist, transport and band/DJ.
- Order your wedding dress. One year out allows ample time for fittings and alterations.
- Order the wedding cake.
- Book your honeymoon.
- Decide on bridesmaid’s dresses.
- Find and order veil.
- Find shoes for bride and bridesmaids.
- Create a wedding website.
- Consider other entertainment options. Go and see them perform. Book them.
6-months before the wedding
- Mail out your wedding invitations and RSVP’s.
- Buy the wedding party attire.
- Have a wedding dress fitting. select your readings for on the day.
- Visit physician.
- Select tuxedos.
- Arrange for rental items (linens, tables, etc.) if needed.
- Discuss menu options with caterer. order alcohol.
- Find wedding night lingerie & garter.
- Finalize ceremony in writing with the wedding officiant.
- Confirm delivery details with wedding dessert provider.
- Finalize wedding decor, backdrops and photobooths.
At three months out
- Confirm wording for all on the day stationery.
- Buy the wedding rings and favors.
- Create a seating table plan.
- Think about your table decorations.
- Arrange transportation/limousine service.
- Begin any necessary counseling with wedding officiant.
- Purchase the wedding guestbook, cake knife, cake stand, cake topper.
- Assemble welcome bags.
RELATED WEDDING PLANNING TIPS & IDEAS