Two months before the wedding
- Reserve a block of hotel rooms or other accommodations for out of town guests.
- Finalize the seating and order the table plan.
- Order you thank you cards.
- Confirm the menu with your caterer.
- Confirm with the registrar.
- Choose your music for the day.
- Buy gifts for all the wedding party members.
- Select a location for rehearsal dinner.
- Confirm with formal wear shop.
- Schedule alterations.
- Schedule fittings for the bridesmaids and flower girl.
- Order address labels with couple’s new names and new address for thank you cards.
- Confirm order with the florist.
- Apply for marriage license after the 90 day mark.
- Decide on centerpieces and bouquets.
- Pick your wedding arch, if you choose to have one.
- Buy shoes for groom and groomsmen.
- Meet with venue to finalize details.
One month before the big day
- Copy supplier contracts and give them to the venue.
- Have your bachelorette and bachelor parties.
- Final dress fitting.
- Indulge in a few spa treatments.
- Design wedding programs.
- Choose all wedding accessories.
- Get hair (get final haircuts) and makeup done and have formal bridal portraits done.
- Discuss and finalize details with wedding service providers.
- Write ceremony vows.
- Prepare toasts.
- Create place settings.
- Find something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue.
Two weeks before the wedding planning timeline
- Pack honeymoon clothes, buy sunscreen etc.
- Relax with your fiancé.
- Call any non rsvp guests.
- Give caterer finalized head count.
- Pick up your marriage license.
- Give the DJ or band a list of songs.
- Confirm rehearsal plans.
- Obtain any legal information.
- Complete floor and seating plan.
- Confirm all rental and floral delivery dates and times.
- Confirm arrival time for all attendants.
- Check parking arrangements.
- Confirm final payment with all vendors.
- Put together tip envelopes and designate someone to hand them out.
- Break in the wedding shoes.
1 week to go! Here’s the checklist!
- Final honeymoon checks such as flights and gather all necessary documents for travel.
- Re-confirm numbers with venue/caterer.
- Hold a wedding rehearsal at the venue.
- Arrange delivery times for florist and cake, etc.
- Make any last minute seating arrangements/adjustments.
- Organize wedding attire.
- Confirm reservations for out of town guests.
- Pick up formalwear.
- Delegate tasks to the wedding party.
The day before the wedding! Wow!
- Get a manicure/pedicure with your maids.
- Have your luggage ready at the hotel/venue.
- Relax and don’t drink too much champagne.
- Go through the things to do and make sure all bases are covered.
- Park wedding-day emergency kit.
- Give the rings to the best man.
- Make sure all wedding accessories and decor have been dropped off.
- Clean the engagement ring.
- Have a good night’s sleep.
On the wedding day
- Eat something – avoid sugars, salt and caffeine. The last thing you want is to be bloated or jittery.
- Get hair and makeup done.
- Have someone check the reception site.
- Dress for the wedding.
- Have candid photos taken with family.
- Get married!
After the Honeymoon (it’s not over yet!)
- Have your wedding gown and bouquet preserved.
- Write thank you notes.
- Change your name, if you so desire.
- Check on outstanding registry items.
How to Prepare a 12-month Wedding Planning Checklist
To help get your wedding planning organized, develop a 12-month wedding planning checklist by adding the 16-months tasks to the 12-months one. This will comprise everything you need to plan your wedding. These no-nonsense tips will help you organize your wedding like a pro.
Remember that if you’re set on a particular date, you may need to be flexible with your venue. If you know exactly where you want to get married, you might have to pick from the dates they have available. Decide if the ceremony and reception will be at the same location or if you need to secure two different venues.
Don’t forget to dream about your honeymoon and apply for or renew passports if needed!
RELATED WEDDING PLANNING TIPS & IDEAS